AFAS Standard Assistance may be in the form of no-interest loan or grant. The purpose is to help stabilize the member’s emergency financial situation in order to solve a problem, so the member can focus on the Air Force mission. A budget is required and payment is made to the final vendor/recipient (i.e. landlord for rent, mechanic for car repairs, etc) or Zelle payment option may be requested.
What Standard Assistance Can Help With
AFAS Standard Assistance is intended for a variety of unexpected emergency financial situations that any Airmen or Guardians could face. Standard Assistance can help with:
- Basic Living Expenses such as rent or utility bills
- Medical or Dental Care
- Funeral Expenses
- Respite Care
- Vehicle Repairs
- Travel Emergencies
- Pet PCS Transportation from or to an overseas assignment
- Special Needs (Exceptional Family Members)
- Pet Emergency Surgery or Treatment
- Pay/Allotment Problems
- Assistance to Surviving Dependents
AFAS Standard Assistance is available to
- Active duty Air Force members
- Guard and Reserve members
- Retired Air Force members (not on a continuing basis, pending case specific review)
- Spouse of Air Force or Space Force member who is enrolled in DEERS and hold valid military dependent ID card (with a Power of Attorney)
- Dependent family members enrolled in DEERS holding valid military dependent ID card
How To Apply
The Standard Assistance process begins with completing an application. You may submit your application online or at your local Airman & Family Readiness Center. – visit the AFAS Portal to locate the Application for AFAS Financial Assistance. Once the application is completed you will be given information to contact your local AFAS section to set up an appointment.
If not located near an Airman & Family Readiness Center, you may visit another Service Relief Agency to request assistance. AFAS maintains cross-servicing agreements with:
Standard Assistance is repaid by allotment with consideration given to the individual’s financial situation, as well as time remaining on current enlistment. Traditional Guard and Reserve members will be required to complete an AFAS Paymatic Authorization Form to allow withdrawal of repayment amount from bank account. Loans are usually repaid within 12 months and do not exceed 24 months. All loan repayment is to be completed within the member’s current enlistment.