Applications will be accepted from 1 December 2019 until 15 January 2020.
Interested candidates may apply by sending a cover letter and curriculum vitae to:
Air Force Aid Society
1550 Crystal Drive, Suite 809
Arlington, VA 22202
Attn: Search Committee
Applications also will be accepted as attachments to emails addressed to:
We are looking for an experienced Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to supervise and control all strategic and business aspects of the Society. You will be the first in command and responsible for giving the proper strategic direction as well as creating a vision for success. To thrive as our CEO, you must be a prudent manager and an inspiring leader. The ideal candidate will have a business mindset and will be able to see the “big picture” in a variety of settings. Our CEO will take actions to enhance the Society’s cash flow while keeping the human factor in perspective. The goal is to drive the Society’s development and guide it towards long-term success.
The CEO is hired by and reports directly to the AFAS Board of Trustees. As the senior corporate officer, he/she is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Society to include raising and managing sufficient funds to ensure the Society can always support Airmen. Although a corporate officer, the CEO is not a member of the AFAS Board of Trustees. AFAS maintains principal offices in Crystal City, Arlington, Virginia, and workday presence at that location is preferred.
Responsibilities: The CEO guides the Society in execution of its mission to provide emergency financial support, education assistance, and community support to all eligible airmen to include active duty, Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve, retirees, widows/widowers and their dependents. The CEO is responsible for the hiring and supervision of a Chief Operating Officer (additional duty as the Board Secretary) and the Chief Financial Officer (additional duty as the corporate Treasurer). Other direct reports (but not corporate officers) include the Director of Marketing and Communications, Director of Human Resources and a Chief Information Officer. The Society’s annual budget historically provides $15M-$20M of program support. Those funds are derived from fund-raising and the returns on the Society’s investment portfolio, currently valued at ~$200 million. The CEO is expected to play a key role in the Society’s fund-raising efforts and, in partnership with the CFO and Finance Committee, the oversight of the investment portfolio. Other responsibilities include the following:
- Develop high quality business strategies and plans ensuring their alignment with short-term and long-term objectives
- Lead and motivate subordinates to advance employee engagement while developing a high performing managerial team
- Oversee all operations and business activities to ensure they produce the desired results and are consistent with the overall strategy, mission and vision – Make high-quality investing decisions to optimize returns on the Society’s investment portfolio at acceptable risk levels
- Enforce adherence to legal and ethical guidelines, and in-house policies to maintain the Society’s stature as a top rated charity serving the needs of Airmen and their families
- Review financial and non-financial reports to identify issues and opportunities and design solutions and improvements
- Build trust relationships with key partners and stakeholders
- Analyze problematic situations and occurrences in a changing military environment, anticipating the needs of Airmen and their families
- Provide point of contact for important stakeholders
- Proven experience as CEO or in other senior managerial position
- Ability to sustain the Society’s vision and strategies; adjust it to the environment; communicate it to employees, beneficiaries and other stakeholders of the AFAS mission
- Strong understanding of financial management in the non-profit sector and performance management principles
- Familiarity with diverse business functions such as marketing, development (fund- raising), HR, finance, and IT support
- In-depth knowledge of corporate governance and general management best practices
- An entrepreneurial mindset with outstanding organization and leadership skills
- Analytical abilities and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills
- MS/MA in business administration or relevant field
Experience: Military (preferably Air Force) senior leadership experience desired. Experience in for-profit and non-profit business operations desired. Understanding of the basic principles of portfolio management desired. Understanding of the basic principles of marketing/business development/fund-raising desired.
Compensation: Compensation package commensurate with experience/background.
Communications and Development Coordinator
We are looking for a Communications and Development Coordinator to join our team who will work closely with the Director of Communications and Development and the Development Manager to advance the Air Force Aid Society (AFAS) brand and mission. The Communications and Development Department works collaboratively to maintain positive general awareness about AFAS and the Society’s programs; cultivate, secure and steward donor support for the Society; and manage key external relationships for AFAS.
The Coordinator will report directly to the Director of Communications and Development and will work to execute the fundraising and communications goals of AFAS.
Key areas of responsibility for this role include:
Communications and Marketing Coordination – Help to communication AFAS’s brand and mission efficiently and accurately via multiple channels (web site, print materials, social media, email and direct mail). Develop and update web site content and design across all program areas and social platforms. Assist with drafting blog posts for web/social media posting and for donor appeals. Manage and maintain content calendars and the timeline of the marketing materials from development to production. Analyze the effectiveness of all communications and marketing efforts through analytics and surveys.
Fundraising Coordination and Database Administration – Assist with all aspects of data input, data management, data import/export and data analysis for Raisers’ Edge and Greater Giving. Help with the production and implementation of appeal campaigns, and other fundraising activity including compiling donor and stakeholder spreadsheets for email and direct mailers and sending donor acknowledgements.
Employee Gift Program – Conduct research on employee gift matching programs.
Corporate Sponsorship Prospecting – Research and develop potential corporate sponsors for events and programs.
Administrative duties – Provide administrative support for special events including data management, meetings, event preparation, mailings, marketing and other communications initiatives. Respond to incoming donor and other stakeholder calls/inquiries, as well as coordinate meeting logistics as needed.
Miscellaneous – Will assist with other duties as determined by Communications and Development Director.
Skills/Qualifications – Associate’s or bachelor’s degree from a college or university. Minimum of 2 years relevant work experience. Computer skills to include proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook). Experience managing a donor database is preferred. Familiarity with WordPress, Adobe Photoshop, and social media, Exceptional and effective communications and writing skills. Ability to edit documents and publications using AP style guide. Strong time management and organizational skills needed. Willingness to pitch in when/where needed.
Compensation: Compensation package commensurate with experience/background.