The Air Force Aid Society is offering an interest-free loan of up to $1,000 to help Air Force families with dependents attending college who have been impacted financially by the COVID-19 pandemic.
This interest-free loan is open to the sponsoring members of students who are enrolled in college as full-time undergraduates. The sponsoring member can borrow up to the maximum amount of $1,000 per student.
If you applied for the 2020-2021 General Henry H. Arnold Education grant program, you should have received an email with instructions on how to apply for an interest-free loan for out-of-pocket college expenses, as well as extra funding if your family has been impacted financially by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Active Duty Airmen, Title 10 Reservists on extended Active Duty (through 1 December 2020), Title 32 Guard performing full-time Active Duty (through 1 December 2020), Retired, Retired Reserve and Widow/Widowers of Deceased members.
- Dependent(s) listed in DEERS are of college age and will be attending college for Fall 2020 and/or Spring 2021.
How To Apply
To access the application for Active Duty/Retired CLICK HERE
To access application for Title 10/Title 32/Retired Reserve/Deceased CLICK HERE
- Title 10 and Title 32 must attach documentation/orders showing extended active duty/performing full-time active duty through 1 December 2020.
The Application Process
- Applications must be submitted to the AFAS Education Department for review by email at or by Fax to (866) 896-5637 no later than 1 October 2020.
- Applications must be complete, and all documents received at AFAS HQ before loans can be approved.
- Checks for approved loans will be mailed to the attention of the member by AFAS HQ mid-October. AFAS will attempt to set up automatic repayment by allotment from military pay, which will run for a 12-month period beginning 15 November 2020 for Active Duty and 1 December 2020 for Retirees. All other categories will complete a paymatic authorization form to set up repayment from their personal bank account. NOTE: If there is an existing EA loan, monthly allotments will be increased accordingly to repay this loan within the 12-month period.
- Any questions should be submitted via email at .